JLsBibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

The Broken and the Whole

The Broken and the Whole: Discovering Joy after Heartbreak - Charles S. Sherman

In early September the blog Zeh Lezeh (For One Another), which focuses primarily on disability and inclusion advocacy in the Jewish community, published a entry by Rabbi Charles S. Sherman about his son Eyal, who suffered a stroke after childhood surgery to remove a benign tumor from his brain stem.  I think I had also seen an article in the local Jewish newspaper about Eyal and Rabbi Sherman's 2014 book The Broken and the Whole.  I was looking for something suitably Jewish to read on Yom Kippur, and luckily enough, my local library had a copy.

The book was a quick read (I finished in a day, and didn't even give up my Yom Kippur nap).  However, while the book has more details, I felt like it didn't add all that much to the 2 articles about Eyal I had previously read.  Rabbi Sherman did include some interesting connections to Torah, but nothing that I find myself remembering and thinking about further once I put down the book.

I recommend that people seek out Eyal Sherman's story, as it is one of presuming competence, inclusion, and personal success in small ways. But if time is elusive, I recommend that you look for an article-length synopsis, perhaps this one in Kolot, instead of investing the time in The Broken and the Whole