JLsBibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

Into the Still Blue

Into the Still Blue - Veronica Rossi

After finishing about a book a day between Christmas and New Years, I’ve gone to the opposite extreme and am barely reading (the only book I’ve finished in January has been the audiobook I was listening during my commute).  There are lots of mitigating circumstances:

• I’ve been working an insane schedule trying to meet an immovable end-of-January deadline at work
  • I’m spending more time being physically active and hanging out on one of the social media food & exercise tracking sites
  • I’ve taken on extra responsibility for organizing the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture aka Farm Share) that I’ve belonged to for the last 7 years
  • I’m planning a family celebration to take place this summer
  • And not least, I’ve become addicted to Candy Crush Soda

But after a book or more a week for the last few years, it still feels strange to be reading the same book for almost a month.

I started Into The Still Blue in the last days of my New Year’s vacation and binge read it in 2 days – including getting so caught in the story that I was skim-reading to get to the end because I was exhausted and knew I wouldn’t go to bed until I was done.  I know that I missed most of the subtleties of the last 1/3 of the book, so the next day I went back to re-read to figure out what I skipped.  I’ve read a chapter or two, lost my bookmark, forgotten was happening and had to backtrack half a dozen times in the last few weeks and after half a dozen tries, still haven’t managed to finish re-reading.

Into the Still Blue is the finale of Veronica Rossi’s trilogy that starts with Under the Never Sky and Through the Ever Night (and is supplemented by several short ebooks).  Of all the teen dystopias I’ve read in the last few years, this trilogy is probably my favorite.  The post-cataclysm world is just a backdrop, not the central feature.  These books tell a STORY, about CHARACTERS, and RELATIONSHIPs.  The main characters are just too cute in an angsty teen way.  Love triangles are at a minimum.  And while there are occasional action sequences, it doesn’t feel like the author is narrating a video game.   The ending of Into the Still Blue simultaneously wrapped up a lot of ends and at the same time felt like a bit of a let-down with too many questions of “what will happen next.”  But I guess that’s the material that 2nd trilogies or extended series come from.

If I don’t manage to make it through the 2nd time by the end of the month, I’m going to stop trying and move on to one of the many other volumes calling from my TBR shelf.