JLsBibliomania

JL's Bibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

Book Award Season

I don’t know how most of you build your to-be-read lists. For me, some of what I read is suggested by the bloggers I follow, some for looking to see if favored authors have new releases, some from random chance browsing through the catalog, and a large part comes from the nomination and honor lists for YA and middle grade book awards.  I do try to at least look at the majority of the nominated books (or at least give my boys a chance at as many of the middle-grade and YA nominees as my  public library owns).

If you are also looking for suggestions of what to read, it’s book award time again with folks winnowing through the releases of 2014 and announcing the work of hard-working panels of judges.  Here’s an info-dump with a lot of links about several places you might want to look at for interesting books.

The “granddaddy” of book awards for youth literature are the Newbery and Caledcott   awards –   The 2015 winners were announced yesterday and I was thrilled to see El Deafo named as a Newbery Honor Book

In addition to the long-standing awards, recognized by the mainstream, the ALA folks will also be announcing several newer awards such as the The Pura Belpré Award, established in 1996, presented annually to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth, the Theodore Seuss Geisel award the most distinguished contribution to the body of American children’s literature known as beginning reader books published in the United States during the preceding year and the Schneider Family Book Award for books best portraying the disability experience.

Two other bodies with awards for Children’s and Young Adult Literature in its many forms are also worth considering.

The folks over at the CYBILS have announced which books made it from the long list to the short-list.    the final results are expected to be announced in mid-February.  I am eagerly awaiting the final award winners.

If you've followed me for any length of time, you probably have heard me mention the Nerdy Book Club.  For the last several years they have posted the Nerdy Book Club Awards.  In the first several years, I believe they operated similarly to the YALSA awards, and had a panel of readers select several books from the long list suggested by Nerdy Book Club participants and readers.  This year they took nominations and didn't have a panel winnow through the suggestions to create shorter “top choices” lists. I understand that the folks behind the Nerdies are hard-working teacher, librarian and author bloggers – several of whom are now also involved with the CYBILS process – and I appreciate that posting a longer list may help readers find a book that “clicks”, but was disappointed that they didn't give better descriptions for the suggested books and vote on the  nominated titles.