JLsBibliomania

The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
Douglas Carlton Abrams, Desmond Tutu, Dalai Lama XIV

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon Wrapup

Split Second  - Scott Brick, David Baldacci

As my previous post stated, I did get up and read some more this morning, but then had to go do Mom stuff for a couple of hours.  So here's my post Read-A-Thon wrap-up and the

End of Event Meme:

• Which hour was most daunting for you?  Midnight to 1 am (Hour 20 ish)  I was trying to decide on a new book to start and if I was going to stick to my plan of going to bed 2ish
  • Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I really liked the excuse to read a few picture books (now that my kids are out of that age) though I almost feel like I was cheating with how much doing so raised my page count.  I recommend looking at the  Caldecott Winners and the picture book categories of the Nerdy Book Club and Cybils book awards.
  • Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Better instructions for new cheerleaders, potentially a tool or advice for new cheerleaders on the best way to figure out when there is new content on the blogs from your team.
  • What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? The effort of the organizers and volunteers to make it seamless for the rest of us
    1. How many books did you read? 2 novels, 5 picture books, and odds and ends of other things. My 11 year old son also read 2 novels.

1. What were the names of the books you read?

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Rain Reign by Ann M. Maxwell

Red: A Crayon’s Story by Michael Hall

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

Tracking Trash by Oree Griffin Burns

The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus by Melissa Sweet & Jen Bryant

A Boy and a Jaguar by Alan Rabinowitz

I also listened to the short stories Enginesong: A Rondeau and 21 Steps To Enlightenment (Minus 1), polished off the last chapter and a half of The Surgeon's: Life and Death in a Top Heart Center by Charles R. Morris and read more in Split Second by David Baldacci which I had started before the Read-A-Thon.

My 11 year old son, who typically devours at least one novel a weekend, read 2/3 of By The Sword and all of Winds of Fate both by Mercedes Lackey

1. Which book did you enjoy most? Red: A Crayon’s Story

1. Which did you enjoy least? Rain Reign

1. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? It was fun! I really liked using short cheering stints as a break from reading.

1. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Likely to participate again (real life schedule permitting).  Likely to both cheer and read again.

So to summarize:

Hours read total: about 8.5 to 9?

Hours spent participating: 10 or 11?

Pages read total: 962

• Other participants cheered for: 16
  • All in all a successful, fun, day!  Thank you to all who cheered for me.  I look forward to exploring your blogs during the rest of the year.