JLsBibliomania

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
Douglas Carlton Abrams, Desmond Tutu, Dalai Lama XIV

DNF Central

Airman - John Keating, Eoin Colfer In Defense of Food - Michael Pollan King's Mountain: A Ballad Novel - Sharyn McCrumb Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith

It's been DNF central around here.  I have spent time with and decided not to finish the following books:

Airman by John Keating & Eoin Colfer.  Both my middle grade sons were gaga over Airman, so I gave it a chance to be better able to discuss it with them.  As with Eragon, I can see why this appealed to the middle grade set, but I found the writing painful and derivative and decided I had better things to do with my scarce reading time.  Unlikely to give a 2nd chance

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.  I've read and appreciated other parts of Michael Pollan's work (and being in the thick of the CSA movement, being familar with his works are pretty much obligatory).  But In Defense of Food just didn't work as an audiobook.  It seemed too much like faith-based screed which is just requoting the same few studies.  The soundbite "Eat Food.  Not  too Much.  Mostly Plants" is better than the expansion - at least as an audiobook.  May try again in print.

King's Mountain by Sharyn McCrumb.   This prequel just didn't quite hold my interest as an audiobook.  Returning to a series long after the initial energy has dissipated is tricksy. May try again later.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith.  I don't like reading two books in the same genre/style at the same time.  I put it down because it was keeping me from reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley.  Again, the concept is better than the execution.  I was on CD 2 or so and just find myself uninterested in revisiting this world.