JLsBibliomania

C.J. Cherryh

The War That Saved My Life

The War that Saved My Life - Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

The War That Saved My Life is deservedly getting a lot of attention. It is

• a Newbury Honor Book (runner-up for the John Newbery Medal for the most outstanding contribution to children’s literature)
  • one of two book for readers ages 11-13 given the Schneider Family Book Award for books that embody an artistic expression of the disability experience
  • winner of the Odyssey Award for best audiobook produced for children and/or young adults, available in English in the United States
  • Named as one of the Best Children's Books of 2015 by The Wall Street Journal
  • On The New York Public Library's 100 Books for Reading and Sharing

I listened to the audiobook and loved it!  Even if historical fiction for younger readers isn't your usual genre, I recommend that you give this nuanced tale of perseverance in the face of adversity a try.

While the language of the book is simple and lyrical, the clear depictions of child abuse and neglect may not be appropriate to younger or sensitive readers.

I can't tell if there is a reccent resurgence in good books for middle-grade and YA readers about World War II (Code Name Verity and The Book Thief come to mind), or if I've just been oblivious because I wasn't previously interested in reading fiction about the period.