JLsBibliomania

Defender
C.J. Cherryh

Winter

Winter (The Lunar Chronicles) - Marissa Meyer

Winter by Marissa Meyer is the 4th and last installment in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.  It was one of the books I've most been anticipating this year.

While I enjoyed the final romp of the four young ladies, their beloved swain, and trusty robot servant Iko, I wasn't overwhelmed.  The primary flaw was that the book suffered from too many protagonists combining and recombining in innumerable ever more complicated permutations, to the point that I couldn't keep track of where each of the 9 principals were at any given time. And with so many key players, even at 800 pages, there wasn't a lot of space for nuanced character growth for all.

I don't think that it's too much of a spoiler to say that after all of the convoluted maneuvering and angst each girl (princess) gets her man (prince) and the evil stepmother is dead.

I still like how Marissa Meyer wove the craze for dystopian YA and fairytale retellings with an SF setting.  While this was obviously intended to be the last in the quartet, I think the ending left room for at least several other short stories in the same world, if not sharing vignettes of what happened 10-years after.