JLsBibliomania

Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson
Elizabeth Rhys Finney, Priscilla Olson, Zenna Henderson
Progress: 250/577 pages

Growing my Garden Green?

The No-Work Garden: Getting the Most Out of Your Garden for the Least Amount of Work - Bob Flowerdew The Mini Farming Guide to Vegetable Gardening: Self-Sufficiency from Asparagus to Zucchini - Brett L. Markham

The peas and beans are up (and the shoots are being eaten by the local wildlife), the tomatoes seedlings from the Farm Market are in, and I am continuing my jaunt through the Library's selection of gardening books.

The No-Work Garden, by the suitably named Bob Flowerdew, is a fast-paced jaunt through everything from hedges to vegetables with stops at compost and pests. Full of gorgeous photographs featuring the author, The No-Work Garden was easy to pick up and browse through.  While a few items are specific to the southern UK, I picked up a few tips from the chapter about vegetable gardening and will likely copy the concise table of companion and contraindicated neighbor plants as well as the table evaluating yield, ease of growing, time, and cost for common vegetables.

In contrast, while The Mini Farming Guide to Vegetable Gardening, by Brett L. Markham was more specifically focused on vegetable gardening, I found this book harder to use.  Organized by vegetable, and packed with information, I had difficulty synthesizing the detailed information presented.  I intend to put The Mini Farming Guide to Vegetable Gardening along with the companion book Mini Farming: Self Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre on my list of references to return to when I am a bit further along my gardening journey.