JLsBibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

The weekly veg - CSA Week 6
The weekly veg - CSA Week 6

Week 6 of the CSA and we have left salad-land.  In this week's fruit and vegetable shares

Cabbage

Arugula

Tuscan Kale

Blackberries

Blueberries

Peaches - First of the season!!!

Zucchini and summer squash can be frozen without blanching or steaming!  So I froze

• 3 bags @ 2 cups of shredded squash (the right amount for zucchini bread or to throw into tomato sauce) and
  • 2 bags @ 1 pound of squash chunks

I also spent time over the 3-day weekend catching up on preserving the prior bounty and some things I couldn't resist at the farm market.  I froze beet greens, turnip greens, and 2 large bunches of Tuscan Kale.  I also started Middle eastern turnip pickles (aka Lift), Asian inspired daikon and carrot pickles, and a small batch of my nemesis - traditional half-sours.  I've gotten pretty good at fermenting root vegetables, but previous attempts at cucumber pickles have been spectacular for 2 days and then gone slimy.

The scary thing is that I am contemplating planting grapes - not for the fruit, but so that I can have the leaves to add tannins to my pickles.