JLsBibliomania

The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages

The Secret Life of a Book Blogger

I don't usually answer 20 questions type memes because I'm uncomfortable posting identifiable personal details, but this looks like fun.  I'm counting myself as tagged under MoonLight Reader Murder's invitation to "anyone who follows me"

The Secret Life of a Book Blogger came to BookLikes via Grey Warden's post http://greywarden.booklikes.com/post/1447925/the-secret-life-of-a-book-blogger-challenge

I'm tagging YouKneeK, Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews and Tea, Rain, Book Blog and anyone else who wants to play.

Whelp, now that we're done with that intro jazz...

How long have you been a blogger?

I followed folks to BookLikes during the first great GoodReads exodus in 2013 after the upheaval in the aftermath of the Amazon takeover. If you can call the short book reactions and CSA inventories I post “blogging,” I guess that makes me a blogger.

At what point do you think you'll stop?

I started on both GR and BL mostly to have a record of what I read.  When/If BookLikes goes bust, I’m unlikely to move to a traditional blogging platform like WordPress since without the network formed by the followers and feed of BookLikes I’m unlikely to be motivated.

What's the best thing?

Considering that I consider myself a minnow in the blogging pond, I'm still thrilled when folks respond to what I've posted!

My secondary reason for starting on BookLikes was to have a place to call home during my ventures into Readathonland.  The best thing for me is the feeling of community as we all read together.

What's the worst thing?  What do you do to make it ok?

The worst things for me are:

• Hearing about all these wonderful books that I won't ever have time to read.
  • The feeling of falling behind and the occasional spoilers from those prolific readers who are concentrating on ARCs and newly released books (who I can't keep up with).
  • The uncertainty of the motives of the people running the platforms that we are taking using (whether GoodReads or here at BookLikes).  I understand that the owners/developers have limited resources and need to monetize what they are doing. But the indifference to what folks are asking for sometimes astounds me.

What I do to make it OK is find a good book.

How long does it take you to create/find pictures to use?

Not very – I use very few pictures other than the stock covers in book-related posts. The vegetable pictures for the CSA photo-documentation project are just snaps on my cell phone with 5 minutes of cropping.

Who is your book crush?

I don’t normally get long-lasting book crushes, but if I could meet any character from my reading life, I’d have hard time choosing between Menolly from Pern and Helva from the Ship who Sang, both of whom I first met as an early teen and who started a life-long love of SFF.

What author would you like to have on your blog?

I’d love to be able to put a piece of Maggie Steifvater’s art on my blog.

What do you wear when you write your blog posts?

My glasses!

How long does it take you to prepare?

Typically less than 30 minutes (because if it took more it wouldn't happen).

How do you feel about the book blogger community/culture?

I love the BL community!   I’m not familiar enough with what is going on the rest of the book blogging world to compare.

What do you think one should do to get a successful blog?

Just keep writing (even better if the act of writing brings its own feeling of success).

Take the time to interact with other bloggers and BE RESPECTFUL when you do.  It's OK to disagree about a book, but let's do our part to revive the skill of companionable debate.