JLsBibliomania

Ingathering: The Complete People Stories of Zenna Henderson
Elizabeth Rhys Finney, Priscilla Olson, Zenna Henderson
Progress: 250/577 pages

Ashley's War

Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield - Gayle Tzemach Lemmon

Nicely done account of the selection, training, and selected missions of the first Cultural Support Teams.  The CST were military women who were attached to the Special Operations forces to "enable" them by searching and gathering information from women within Afghanistan.  Their successful work, along with that of other female soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, was one of the factors leading to the official removal of the ban on women in combat positions in the US Military and the ongoing discussion of how/where women might fit into elite forces such as the Army Rangers.

I did find parts of this book difficult to read, especially immediately after I realized why the book was titled Ashley's War.

The book is in many ways a tribute to newlywed Ashley White-Stumpf who was killed by an IED in Kandehar

(show spoiler)