JLsBibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

The Rook

The Rook - Daniel O'Malley

Picture an England where folks with paranormal powers are members of a secret government agency to protect the unsuspecting populace from what goes bump in the night.  Now picture what happens when there is a mole, a traitor, within the ranks.

Our protagonist Myfanwy Thomas opens her eyes standing in a park, in the driving rain, surrounded by several bodies, all curiously wearing latex gloves. With no memory of who she is, or how she got there, Myfanwy (which rhymes with Tiffany rather than the traditional Welsh pronunciation) starts following the instructions left by her former self on a quest to figure out who she is and to unmask the traitor.

I started The Rook during Dewey’s 24-hour Readathon and finished devouring it the following day.  Highly recommended if you like Urban Fantasy or superheroes.  The sequel Stilleto was published in June 2016. There were also press releases around the end of 2015 that Stephenie Meyer, of Twilight infamy, was working on a TV adaptation of The Rook for Hulu. I can see how in the right hands The Rook would make a good TV serial.  Not sure what the normal production lag is, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see if this comes out and whether Ms. Meyer does it justice.