JLsBibliomania

The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages

JL's Bibliomania Reading Habits

Thank you to Spooky’s House of Books for bringing these questions to the community, and to BookLikes for spreading the word so we can all play along!

1. Do you have a certain place in your home for reading?

The living room couch is the most frequent place where I and others in my household read, though bed is a close second. (Although I’m surprised to see so few responses regarding reading in the loo).

1. Bookmark or random piece of paper?

Home-made bookmarks. We have been getting a lot of junk mail made from heavy cardstock.  I take them into work and slice them into bookmark sized pieces.

When I’m not near a bookmark, anything from clean tissues to random receipts will do in a pinch - though since I often like to back up a bit from where I stopped I don’t worry too much about marking my exact place.

1. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop reading after a chapter / certain number of pages?

Unless I’m interrupted, I end up stopping 2 chapters after I said I was going to stop.

1. Do you eat or drink while you read?

This question is backwards.  I don’t eat and drink while I read, I sneak in reading when the need to eat gives me a break in my other obligations.

During serious reading binges, I typically have a cup of tea.

1. Multitasking: music or TV while reading?

I used to be able to do this, but not anymore.  I can have music without lyrics in a language I understand in the background, but I can’t process two language streams at the same time.

1. One book at a time or several at once?

I typically have 2-3 books going at any time:

1 fiction in print (or occasionally ebook)

1 audiobook in a different genre than my print book

And often 1 non-fiction that I am nibbling on very slowly

The key for me is to keep the genres different

1. Reading at home or everywhere?

Everywhere. Audiobooks while driving have saved  me quite a bit of boredom.

1. Reading out loud or silently in your head?

I read silently.

1. Do you read ahead or even skip pages?

I often find myself skimming ahead a chapter or two and then going back to savor it a second time around and pick up the details.

1. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?

I try to be nice, but usually end up creasing though not breaking the spine.  Then again, since 90% or more of what I read comes from the public library I have little control of the condition.

1. Do you write in your books?

I almost never write in books because they belong to the library.  Even when studying, I prefer to take notes on a separate piece of paper or a post-it rather than writing in the book itself.