JLsBibliomania

The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon April 29, 2017 Wrap-up

Slightly belated closing meme because I had to run off to a parent meeting about an international trip my son will be taking next year immediately after the Readathon ended.

1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

I didn’t have an hour that was particularly daunting.  I’d come into the Readathon with the first book picked out.  I did have trouble resisting the swan-song of social media and deciding what to read mid-evening when I finished my first novel.  I had the same hiccup after finishing my 1st book during #24in48 in January.

1. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?

As with the past Readathons, I recommend having a few picture books around for change of pace. I used this Readathon as an excuse to read the 2017 Caldecott Award Winner and 2 of the 4 Caldecott Honor books.

1. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season?

1. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

I really liked the search feature on the participant list (when the internet was cooperating and the list of participants was up).

I liked the focus on giving (though I wouldn't necessarily want this to become a constant).  I pledged $5 per 100 pages read to BookMates and will be rounding up to a $45 donation.

1. How many books did you read?

Finished 1 novel & 5 picture books. Also finished a graphic novel that I’d started a while ago and started another novel.

1. What were the names of the books you read?
  • Jeweled Fire by Sharon Shinn (403 pages) – finished
  • March Book 3 by John Lewis (last 80 pages) - finished
  • Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (about 38% or 150/400 pages)

Picture books

• Radiant Child by Javaka Steptoe (40 pages)
  • Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast by Josh Funk & Brendan Kearney (40 pages)
  • The Darkest Dark by Chris Hatfield (48 pages)
  • They All Saw the Cat by Brendan Wenzel (44 pages)
  • Leave Me Alone by Vera Brosgol (40 pages)

1. Which book did you enjoy most?

Either They All Saw the Cat or Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast

1. Which did you enjoy least?

March Book 3 has been a challenging read, but it’s not really a question of liking or disliking, more just of being emotionally wrenching

1. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?

Very likely to participate again as a reader, and cheerleader.  Depending on schedule, maybe I’ll think about signing up for a co-hosting slot on the GoodReads group.

I also have participated in #24in48 and recommend that folks who like Dewey’s Readathon check them out for more bookish fun.