JLsBibliomania

JL's Bibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

As They Went Marching, Marching

March (Book One) - Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell, John Robert Lewis March: Book Two - Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell, John Robert Lewis March: Book Three - Andrew Aydin, Nate Powell, John Lewis Gaddis

On the 100th day of Mr. Trump’s Presidency, I finished March Book 3

Starting with his childhood in segregated Alabama and ending with the 1963 March on Washington, the three volume graphic novel biography March chronicles the early life of Representative John Lewis of Georgia and the role he played in the Civil Rights Movement as a leader of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC).  Nate Powell's strong black and white line drawings bring the determination, blood, and success of the Civil Rights movement to life.

I found these books a timely, painful read.  And the parts that had me heartbroken were not the spare depictions of the atrocities and hardships of the past, but the interwoven scenes of the 2009 Inauguration of President Barak Obama and my fears that the years of the Obama presidency are in hindsight going to be the best years of my life.  Reading March, it’s easy to see how far we’ve come, how much more there is to do, and also how much we could lose.