JLsBibliomania

JL's Bibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

Bluebarb Pie

Art of the Pie: A Practical Guide to Homemade Crusts, Fillings, and Life - Kate McDermott, Andrew Scrivani 365 Great Pies You Can Bake - Lois Hill

We make pie semi-regularly, mostly following ideas from 365 Great Pies You Can Bake (which we picked up years ago from the remaindered book store) or from the great Internet cookbook.

Everyone else seemed to be having so much fun with The Art of The Pie, and it was available as an ebook from my library, so I thought I would see what it was about. The Art of the Pie seems like an good resource for the new baker.  While most of the ideas (at least for traditional gluten-containing pies) aren't particularly new or insightful, they are clearly explained in the part biographical, part travelogue, part instructional style that seems to be the current fashion for cookbooks. I found Kate McDermott's enthusiasm engaging and contagious.  The information on gluten-free pie crust seems timely and well thought out, but I can't speak to how effective it is.

While I originally learned to make pie crust from my husband, recently I've been baking more regularly.  I was short on time, so asked him to make me pie crust following the recipe from The Art of the Pie.  I think it's just that he was out of practice, because the crust he made was too dry and crumbly and ended up tough after too much rolling.

I followed the recipe for Blueberry Rhubarb Pie using a mixture of fresh Rhubarb and frozen blueberries.  The resulting pie was one of the prettiest I've made (perhaps because of the egg wash on the top crust), but the filling was a bit runny (as often happens when I bake with frozen fruit).  The mixture of blueberries and rhubarb wasn't one I would have thought of on my own, and was very nice indeed, though almost too sweet.

I'm looking forward to see what she has to say about pumpkin pie, since it's one of the few types younger son likes and he has asked that we make one, even though it's spring.