JLsBibliomania

Angie Thomas, HarperAudio, Bahni Turpin
Progress: 602/704 minutes

Goliath

Goliath - Scott Westerfeld, Keith Thompson

One of my goals for this year is to go back and finish out some of the many series that I started and then got distracted before finishing.  I’d read Leviathan  and Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld a while ago, so when I landed on  Paradise Pier I thought it might be a good time to go back and finish out the trilogy.

As I read, the song Handsome Cabin Boy kept running through my head:

'Tis of a handsome female , As you may understand.

Her mind being bent on rambling unto some foreign land,

She dressed herself in sailor's clothes,  Or so it does appear,

And she hired on with a captain, to serve him for a year….

Well the adventures of Miss  Deryn Sharp aka Mr. Dylan Sharp turn out somewhat better than that of the “cabin boy” in the song, but I think you can understand why the story of a young woman disguised as a midshipman brought the song to mind.

I still like Scott Westerfeld’s clever re-imagining of World War I as a contest between the Darwinists who use bioengineering and the Clankers who create mechanical creatures and still love how Keith Thompson’s interior art enriches the story. However, I found the third volume in the trilogy less enthralling than the first two, and the ending not satisfying at all.  Perhaps I would have felt differently if I had read the last volume sooner when the series still had a magical glow and I had momentum (the magic of BL says that I read Leviathan  in December 2012 and Behemoth in February 2013, even longer ago than I had thought).

Goliath (543 pages) finished May 27th brings my bank balance to $43