JLsBibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

Etched in Bone

Etched in Bone  - Anne Bishop

It’s been almost a month since I finished Etched in Bone and I still haven’t been able to pull my thoughts together to write anything more articulate than my initial squee, but it’s bugging me to have the review unfinished.

I loved The Others series – though this flirtation between Urban Fantasy and just Fantasy is definitely not something that would appeal to all.

I like how Etched in Bone focused on the core crew of Meg, Simon and the rest of the “Human Pack” in the Lakeside Courtyard.  I also loved the interplay between Meg and the Elders that I’m seeing quoted in many other reviews (the whole bit about “Want cukkies”).

But in many ways this book is a let-down after the events of Marked in Flesh.  It’s almost like the whole book is an epilog.  As much as I enjoyed the experience of reading and all the feels from visiting with beloved characters in an intriguing world, I couldn’t quite give Etched in Bone 5 stars because of how weak the villain/antagonist was.

I’m sad this series, or at least the arc focusing on Meg and the Lakeside Courtyard is finished.  But at the same time, I’m glad that Ms. Bishop had a clear vision with a beginning and an end and didn’t get drawn into a never-ending series.  I’m very curious about #6 – the official blurb makes it seem like it will be a murder mystery or perhaps even a cozy set in the same universe. Though the cover is gorgeous I have to admit to not being impressed by this teaser for Lake Silence.  I’ll probably give it a try, but I’m wondering if Ms. Bishop will be able to capture my interest with the new spinoff characters.