JLsBibliomania

Defender
C.J. Cherryh

And All Between

And All Between - Zilpha Keatley Snyder

It’s always a shock when a reread of a book doesn’t match your memory of it. I loved the Green Sky Trilogy when I first encountered it as a tween. And my recollection had the middle volume And All Between as my favorite.

This reread fell very flat. The first 1/3 to ½ the book covered the same events as the beginning of Below The Root, albeit from the opposite perspective. This time the reprise felt more like a summary and retread rather than a further exploration of the time-period. The rest of the book included more agonizing over conflicting philosophies, and less action than I remembered.

I do think this trilogy is important as part of a larger exploration of the role of violence and the possibility of our better human nature prevailing. But it is now more academically interesting than what I would consider great fiction. I will likely read the last volume in the trilogy, but my expectations are low.