JLsBibliomania

The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages

Dewey's Update 3 & Halloween Bingo Week 7

It's the start of hour 16 and I'm planning to post this update, finish the last section of The Call of Chthulu and then call it a night (having been woken weekday early by the dog).

As of the end of week 7 of Halloween Bingo, my card looks like:

White ghost = called

Grey monster = read

Brainy Guy = read + called

I'll add the table of books read later (as in after I've slept).

Loc

Diverse Voices

9/21/2017

10/19/2017

The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas

Unarmed Black Teen is murdered by a cop. The Hate U Give follows the friend who witnessed and the repercussions throughout the community.

A2

The Dead Will Walk

10/21/2017

The Girl With All The Gifts - M.R. Carey

Great twist on the classic infection/zombie trope. Would also fit chilling children, but this fits the pattern I'm creating on my card better.

A3

Classic Noir

10/7/2017

9/22/2017

The Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett

Classic Noir buddy read.  Genesis of the successful Noir/Comedy movies of the same name.

A4

Witches

9/13/2017

10/6/2017

Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison

Urban Fantasy set in post-plague Cincinnati & environs.  Witches, Vampires & Pixies, Oh My! Death threats, but no murders.

B3

Aliens

9/29/2017

9/28/2017

Defender - CJ Cherryt

Volume 4 in the continuing saga of Bren the translator between the humans who settle on the world, the alien Atevi, and the human of the starship crew.

C3

RAVEN

9/1/2017

9/16/2017

Gulp - Mary Roach

Flat Book Society Group read including anecdotes of various creepy crawlies you can find in your gut

D2

Supernatural

9/7/2017

Half-Off Ragnarok - Seanan McGuire

Murder with various crypozoological wonders including basiliks and occasional cameos from the Aeslin Mice

D3

Terrifying Women

9/19/2017

10/20/2017

All The Crooked Saints - Maggie Steifvater

Miracles abound in this newly-released stand-alone novel by a female author.  Would fill the Magical Realism or Supernatural categories.

E1

Monsters

9/15/2017

Norse Mythology- Neil Gaiman

Norse myths are full of giants, trolls, dwarves and gods.  In addition, at least 3 of Loki's children the 8 legged horse Sleipnir, the wolf Fenrir, and the world serpent Jörmungandr would qualify as a monster.

E2

Horror

9/7/2017

10/21/2017

The Call of Chthulu - H.P. Lovecraft

I grew up with folks making Chthulu jokes and wearing Miskatonic University t-shirts to SF Cons .  Figured it was about time to actually read the short story that started it all.

E3

In the Dark, Dark Woods

9/5/2017

9/8/2017

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving

Takes place in the woods near Tarrytown NY.  My son's school is putting on the play.

E5

Amateur Sleuth

10/19/2017

9/30/2017

Fool Me Once - Steve Hockensmith & Lisa Falco

Alanis McLaughlin inherited her con-man mother's shop The White Magic Five and Dime.  She and the Tarot cards search for the true murderer to clear on of her most loyal customers from the charge of murdering her abusive husband.