JLsBibliomania

Progress: 161/320 pages
The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 205 out of 580 pages.

Stiletto - Daniel O'Malley

I think I may have been too ambitious when I chose Stiletto as my choice for Darkest London. I forgot to take into account I typically don't read as much as usual in the week or so immediately post-Readathon.  So we'll see if I finish by the end of next Tuesday.

So far Stiletto is a well enough done sequel, but it misses the tension and the vivacity The Rook. Dissapointingly, Rook Myfanwy Thomas is a supporting character not the star of this story. I'm hopeful that the book will pick up soon since Viewpoint Character A and Viewpoint Character B have just met and will be thrown together for at least the next while (but it took 165 pages to do so).

In the world of the Checquy, the Grafters, who hail from what would become the Spanish Netherlands, are the masters of biological sciences and the British excel in psychic and superhero powers. In the world of Leviathan created by Scott Westerfeld, it's the British that are the bioengineering geniuses, and the Continental powers are Clankers who excel in mechanical marvels.  While it's based on false cognates created by the Germanic-sounding names like Grootvader and Broederschap, my brain keeps flashing back to Westerfeld's world and wanting the British to be the biomasters.