JLsBibliomania

The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages

Halloween Bingo Finale

Give me an H! for Halloween Bingo!

Give me a cheer for Moonlight Reader and Obsidian Blue for all their hard work!

Final wrap-up:

Diverse Voices

9/21/2017

10/19/2017

The Hate U Give - Angie Thomas

Unarmed Black Teen is murdered by a cop. The Hate U Give follows the friend who witnessed and the repercussions throughout the community

A2

The Dead Will Walk

10/23/2017

10/21/2017

The Girl With All The Gifts - M.R. Carey

What can you say without spoilers?  Great twist on the classic infection/zombie trope. Would also fit chilling children, but this fits the pattern I'm creating on my card better.

A3

Classic Noir

10/7/2017

9/22/2017

The Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett

Classic Noir buddy read.  Genesis of the successful Noir/Comedy movies of the same name.

A4

Witches

9/13/2017

10/6/2017

Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison

Urban Fantasy set in post-plague Cincinnati & environs.  Witches, Vampires & Pixies Oh My! Death threats, but no murders.

A5

Haunted Houses*

9/23/2017

10/28/2017

The Haunted Grange of Goresthorpe - Arthur Conan Doyle & A Haunted House - Virginia Woolf
(The Bell at Seeley Head - Patricia McKillip)

Two short-shorts, available for free online, about ghosts and haunted houses.
Also started the sound of a ghostly bell and doors that open onto another realm (is it haunted) on the last day.

B3

Aliens

9/29/2017

9/28/2017

Defender - CJ Cherryh

Volume 4 in the continuing saga of Bren the translator between the humans who settle on the world, the alien Atevi, and the human of the starship crew.

C3

RAVEN

9/1/2017

9/16/2017

Gulp - Mary Roach

Flat Book Society Group read including anecdotes of various creepy crawlies you can find in your gut

D2

Supernatural

10/29/2017

9/7/2017

Half-Off Ragnarok - Seanan McGuire

Murder with various crypozoological wonders including basiliks and occasional cameos from the Aeslin Mice

D3

Terrifying Women

9/19/2017

10/20/2017

All The Crooked Saints - Maggie Steifvater

Miracles abound in this newly-released stand-alone novel by a female author.  Would fill the Magical Realism or Supernatural categories.

E1

Monsters

10/25/2017

9/15/2017

Norse Mythology- Neil Gaiman

Norse myths are full of giants, trolls, dwarves and gods.  In addition, at least 3 of Loki's children the 8 legged horse Sleipnir, the wolf Fenrir, and the world serpent Jörmungandr would qualify as a monster.

E2

Horror

9/7/2017

10/21/2017

The Call of Chthulu - H.P. Lovecraft

I grew up with folks wearing Miskatonic University t-shirts to SF Cons and making Chthulu jokes.  Figured it was about time to actually read the story that started it all.

E3

Darkest London

10/1/2017

10/31/2017

Stiletto - Daniel O'Malley

In His Majesty's Secret Secret Service accompanied by bioengineers from the Continent.

E5

Amateur Sleuth

10/19/2017

9/30/2017

Fool Me Once - Steve Hockensmith & Lisa Falco

Alanis McLaughlin inherited her con-man mother's shop The White Magic Five and Dime.  She and the Tarot cards search for the true murderer to clear on of her most loyal customers from the charge of murdering her abusive husband.

* While I don't think I'll be able to finish before midnight, I decided that the 2 short-shorts I read felt too skimpy and started another book that I believe would qualify for the Haunted Houses Square.