November Update

Just popping in for a quick update.  I’m swamped at work.  And furiously busy with teen and home related things, not to mention the toddler-dog who needs constant supervision unless he’s crated or sleeping.   So, JL’s Bibliomania is on semi-hiatus.

A few quick updates on what I read during November:

Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime - Val McDermid

I finished Forensics, and my initial opinion of didn’t change much.   I agree with the rest of the folks in The Flat Book Society: While certain anecdotes and chapters were interesting, in general this book is a disorganized mess.  It didn’t live up to expectations as a work of popular science.

Sparrow Hill Road - Seanan McGuire

I liked Sparrow Hill Road, despite the repetitive bits.  (It’s really a linked set of short stories and it got a little bit tiresome that Seanan McGuire included the same key bits of world-building in pretty much every chapter).  When I saw her at Philcon, Seanan McGuire shared that a sequel The Girl in the Green Silk Gown is expected out in July 2018, and I’ll definitely take a look.

Books Can Be Deceiving - Jenn McKinlay

I was not impressed by Books Can be Deceiving, which I think may have been recommended by someone here on BookLikes.  I’ve been looking for a new series of cozies, but this is not it and I won’t be continuing with the series.

Queen of Shadows - Sarah J. Maas

I read Queen of Shadows over Thanksgiving Weekend.  If you liked the earlier books in this series, you shouldn’t be disappointed by #4.  It doesn’t hold up to the thrill of the first book, The Throne of Glass, but was better than #3.  Folks seem to either love or hate this series, but it’s worth a look if you like YA fantasy, assassins, and female heroines.

Positivity: Top-Notch Research Reveals the 3 to 1 Ratio That Will Change Your Life - Barbara L. Fredrickson

I’m currently between audiobooks, which is uncharacteristic for me, but don’t have the energy to go pick something.  I saw Nothing Better Than a Good Books’s review of Positivity come across my feed and it seems like a good antidote to all the stress right now, so I’m nibbling through that.  I’ve got a couple of graphic novel biographies available, but just don’t have the energy to read much.

I hope to have some time over the Christmas-New Year’s break, but other than that, I expect that my on-line time will be minimal until mid-February.  I am still looking forward to Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life and hope and hope to eke out enough time to read it and participate during the Flat Book Society discussions.

See you on the far-side of the year-end crunch.