January Round-Robin

Now that the year-end report has been submitted for my primary project, and I'm down to 2 competing work deadlines, I actually have the brainpower to update you on what I read in January.

Naked in Death - J.D. Robb

First entry in the long-running In Death series by J.D. Robb (now up to 45 volumes).   I enjoyed the audiobook read by Susan Ericksen, but am not sure that I will continue with the series.  Many people prefer more sexy-times in their books that I typically do and Naked In Death skirted the edge of what I'm comfortable with.  I wasn't really surprised with the focus on sexuality in this book considering that the cover blurb states that prostitutes are being murdered and J.D. Robb is one and the same as Nora Roberts. I was a bit annoyed at the insta-attraction between our protagonist Eve Dallas and rich-boy Roarke, and the late bombshell about Eve'd background, but otherwise liked the flow of the story.  In many ways what I found most appealing was how much the 2058 that JD Robb imagined in 1985 looks like the world we have today (granted minus the flying cars).

Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie

Finished the Imperial Radch trilogy regarding AI Breq Mianaai.  Ancillary Mercy felt much like the second half of the previous book in the trilogy rather than its own independent story. While I liked spending additional time with Breq, I found the resolution of the story an anticlimax, While it wrapped up some of the story's threads, I wasn't satisfied with where the story stopped.

Rosemary and Rue - Seanan McGuire

I've very much enjoyed the other books I've read by Seanan McGuire, so thought I would try her traditional Urban Fantasy series.  I enjoyed Rosemary and Rue, but didn't find it nearly as original as the InCryptid universe. While there were some 1st in series wobbles, I will probably give the rest of the series a go. I read this in the thick of report-writing frenzy, so don't have anything more insightful to say.

I also started and skidded out of 2 non-fiction books, though I chalked that up to long-hours and general exhaustion rather than any fault of the book.  So both are back on my list of books to consider reading at a later date.

Storm in a Teacup: The Physics of Everyday Life - Helen Czerski  My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum Cleaner: A Family Memoir - Evan Fallenberg,Meir Shalev

All of these books, including the ones I didn't finish count towards the Library Love Challenge and Naked in Death counts towards the Audiobook Challenge