July Jellybeans

It's the first weekend in August, and Quincy (our dog) woke me before the rest of the household.  Which means that it's time for an July reading roundup.

During July I read 5 novels (1 as an audio-book), 1 essay, and most of 1 non-fiction book

Honor's Knight - Rachel Bach  Heaven's Queen - Rachel Bach

Honor's Knight - Rachel Bach and Heaven's Queen - Rachel Bach are Volumes #2 & 3 of the Paradox Trilogy.  While there are definitely flaws, this is the sort of SF romp that I enjoy for summer reading.

A Meeting at Corvallis - S.M. Stirling

A Meeting at Corvallis - S.M. Stirling

As I said previously,The 3rd volume in the Emberverse Universe was a disappointing read.

Deliverer - C.J. Cherryh

Deliverer - C.J. Cherryh , Book 9 in the Foreigner Universe.  While reading this whole series (now up to 19 books) is a time commitment, and it takes the first trilogy to hit its stride, I recommend starting at the beginning.  If you like stories that stick close to a single viewpoint, these books can be an interesting jaunt into what makes us human and how humans can/do interact with the other.

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel - Anthony Doerr, Zach Appelman

I’m still processing my feelings about All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel - Anthony Doerr, Zach Appelman .  But it usually takes me a lot of time to process any stories set during WWII.  Despite the hopscotching through time, All The Light We Cannot See worked well as an audiobook.

The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin

James Baldwin’s classic The Fire Next Time - James Baldwin  is unfortunately still timely. I read this in part because a volume of recent essays called The Fire This Time: A New Generation Speaks about Race - Jesmyn Ward  is sitting on my shelf and I felt that I needed to understand what they were paying homage to.

The rhythm and swing of the prose shows Mr. Baldwin’s origins as a preacher composing for the listening experience.  I recommend listening to the audiobook or reading The Fire Next Time out loud to savor the cadences.

I’m counting The Inner Life of Cats: The Science and Secrets of Our Mysterious Feline Companions - Thomas McNamee  as a July read, even though I didn’t finish it until last night. The Inner Life of Cats is more a memoir of the author’s life with cat with a side of science than a rigorous look at the science of cat ownership or cat behavior.  If you’re a cat lover or a cat owner, Mr. McNamee assembled an easy to read stroll through his cat's life and you might learn some cat psychology along the way.