JLsBibliomania

The Loved Dog: How to Train Your Dog in 30 Days
Tamar Geller
Progress: 103/256 pages
Eona: The Last Dragoneye - Alison Goodman

I'll start by saying I very much enjoyed the sequel to Eon: Dragoneye Reborn but felt that Eona wasn't quite as strong as the first book in the duology. The protagonist has had her first "coming of age" at the end of the previous book and spends a long time wandering through the story until finally taking control. While the climax and resolution was every bit as spectacular as I could have hoped, and while I enjoyed the read, I felt like the story was overly complex for the sake of complexity. In general, I think the story would have been improved by used some focusing and tightening and trimming approximately 100 of the 600+ pages.

I also question the classification of this book as "YA" literature, and think that it would be better off in the adult section. I have no issue with the crossing of gender roles, and love the portrayal of Lady Dela, but I am concerned about the appropriateness of the sexual domination and violence that runs throughout the book for younger readers.