JLsBibliomania

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World
Douglas Carlton Abrams, Desmond Tutu, Dalai Lama XIV

Schneider Family Book Award 10th Anniversary Blog Tour and Giveaway

The Schneider Family Book Award is an American Library Association Award that honors "an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences." The criteria states that the book may be fiction or nonfiction.  I've read several of the award winners previously, liked several, and been uncomfortable about the portrayal of folks with disabilities by able-bodied, neurotypical authors in others (actually I am just assuming the authors are not disabled, but their blurbs did not self-identify as having the specific disability they were writing about).

I found out about the linked blog-hop and give-away in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the award from my friends at Nerdy Book Club and Kid Lit Frenzy

I am Mom to two bibliophiles "on the autism spectrum" deletes parental gushing.  While the common wisdom is that it is valuable for children to read books about protagonists who are like themselves, and despite making available several of the recent, excellent books for middle-grade and YA readers featuring autistic young adults, I haven't convinced my sons to read any of them - one is more interested in non-fiction about his interest-of-the-month or historical fiction classics like Laura Ingalls Wilder and adaptations of Gulliver's Travels and Moby Dick for middle-grade readers and the other is looking for fantasy and SF titles featuring epic battles of good against evil (and the more bodies involved in the battle scenes the better).  But I will keep reading, and leaving the better ones of these books accessible, and perhaps someday they will be interested.