JLsBibliomania

JL's Bibliomania

Also on GoodReads as J L's Bibliomania:

and Litsy @jlsbibliomania

Review: How Dogs Love Us

How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain - Gregory Berns

I spent a few days on vacation - WITHOUT INTERNET and without a computer - gasp!  So I read plenty, and now have a passel of books to catch up on telling y'all about.

I was not particularly impressed by How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain.  While I understand that training an unsedated dog to tolerate and cooperate in the sensory onslaught of an MRI is an achievement, telling the backstory of a single scientific paper involving two dogs did not seem sufficient to warrant an entire book.  I also have issue with the book's title, since the study in question - determining which portion of the dog brain responds to the hand signal for a a pleasurable food stimulus as opposed to a null hand signal - seems very far from answering the question "How Dogs Love Us".

If you are curious, the original scientific study discussed in How Dogs Love US is available from PLOS One.  Near the end of the book Dr. Bern describes the initial stages of training a larger cohort of 12 dogs for a scent based study.  The results of this second study were published in early 2014 and are available from www.sciencedirect.com